A 13-year-old girl, identified as Miss Ifeoma Nwofe, reportedly lost her life on Tuesday, following a kerosene explosion at her parent’s Azuiyiokwu, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, residence.
The girl who suffered severe burns all over her body, could not be saved as she could not receive treatment at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, where she was rushed to
because of the ongoing doctors’ strike. She later died at a private hospital due to lack of prompt medical attention.
The other siblings of the deceased, Linda, 8 and Chiemerie, 10 who were also victims of the explosion are said to be in critical condition.
According to report, the explosion occurred as Ifeoma was trying to light the family’s lantern after power supply was cut.
This development has raised suspicion that the kerosene might have been adulterated.
Father of the victims, Mr. Simeon Nwofe, said that the deceased had just returned home to observe her school’s midterm break.
“After hugging her younger ones, she decided to put on the lantern in the house and then the incident occurred,” he said.
Her remains have been taken to their hometown for burial.
The Special Adviser to Ebonyi State Governor on Petroleum Products, Pricing and Distribution, Mr. Chief Ejem, promised to get to the root of the matter.
He said: “We will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and prosecute those culpable.